In 1905, Dunfermline-born industrialist, Andrew Carnegie gifted £1,500 to build the red-sandstone Prestonpans library. The category B-listed building has since been transformed with a £780k refurbishment by Reywood which means it can now increase its services to the local community.
The insulated timber-clad extension combines the old with the new and the project won the ‘Architecture meets Practicality award. It has also been nominated for a Scottish Civic Trust award. We think Mr Carnegie would have approved.